Afara Leadership Centre was set up in 1987 to provide an enabling environment for total personal development as well as growth in leadership skills and values for young women in their years of secondary and tertiary education.
This goal is achieved through a series of well-orchestrated activities of diverse and complementary nature. These activities are given a personal touch to ensure that each participant is helped according to her personality and temperament. They are also designed with the intention of bridging the cultural formation gap that currently exists in the curriculum of public Nigerian universities.
Some of the activities in the Centre include:
- Complete Life After School Seminar (CLASS): geared towards preparing secondary school leavers for the challenges of life in tertiary institutions and helping them to assume the mantle of leadership in their immediate environment.
- UNIV: an international university congress born out of the desire to help undergraduates challenge the ills they see in society, not with violent means but with productive criticism. They are helped to design and implement solutions to these problems through community development projects.
- Leadership Development Programme (LDP): seeks to meet the challenge of the dearth of female leadership. The programme’s philosophy is leadership through self-leadership and social responsibility. Its theoretical part aims at energizing participants to be change agents, instilling leadership qualities and professionalism at work and providing entrepreneurship skills. The practical part – leadership in action – aims at social responsibility through community development projects and other volunteer work experience.
- Study techniques: forum for interaction between lecturers and students to teach the latter how to make the best of the academic aspect of their university years.
- Service projects: a platform for university students to give back to the society.
- Camp: an opportunity for the university students to relax and experience culture.
Afara Leadership Centre is a project of Women’s Board of the Education Cooperation Society, a Nigerian not-for-profit, non-governmental organization. The spiritual formation given in the Centre is entrusted to Opus Dei, an institution of the Catholic Church.